Monday, September 3, 2018

Slouching Zig-Zags

I'm quilting the zig-zag quilt.  It has proven to be more challenging than I anticipated.  Normally I worry about puckering the back of the quilt, not the front.  Basted, pinned and quilted with a walking foot, this thing is determined to crawl all over. 

How frustrating.  Straight line quilting is pretty simple.  Yet this thing refuses to stay still.


I've quilted two of the large  triangles.  The first triangle has the most problems.  The right side heading into the center of the quilt (the top portion in this photo) is smooth but the left side lines coming back out of the center are puffy.  I managed not to get any creases or tucks, but it's not right.

The second triangle is a little better, and a smaller diamond (sewn after I took these photos) is looking alright so far.  I don't want to rip that first triangle out.  That's a boatload of stitching.  I'll see how the rest of the quilt shapes up, then reassess.  But I suspect I'll end up ripping out a chunk of it.  Ugh.

As much as I'm struggling with the front, the back looks great.  I'm pleased with the quilting pattern and the overall effect.  I'm doing something right!

Sharing with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.

2 comments :

  1. This sounds like something my sewing teacher in high school explained to me. something about having all the stitching on the seams facing the same way so it doesn't walk. I learned it while making a prairie skirt, seems like sewing in a different direction from the seams causes a garment not to hang well and a lot of them pucker.
    Can't remember which way she said to follow the stitching, whether against or with it. I think the top stitching followed the seams. If they were stitched top to bottom, I was supposed to do top to bottom top stitching also. Might be fun to try it on a small piece and see if it helps. Hard to do, but you might think about trying it the next time you make a quilt like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt and the quilting sets off the design!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************