Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Cape Chick Weekend XII

You'd think that after a dozen chick weekends on the Cape I'd have nothing more to say.  Yet every year new stuff happens among the tried-and-true weekend routines.  While waiting to pick up pizza on Friday night, we ran into at least two other groups of chick-weekend gals.  Must be the weekend to do that!

I had a packed house this year, with seven of us down on Saturday.  Added bonus:  my sister made it for the first time!  We squeezed most of us in a single car to make our Atlantic Spice pilgrimage.  We all came back with goodies (I can't believe how much I purchased considering I had been there in July!).  However, once the last gal arrived, we had to pile in two cars to check out the sand sculptures.


There weren't a ton of entries in the sculpture contest, but it was difficult to choose a favorite from the ones there.  The contest started later than scheduled because of the tide, so everyone was still in the process of building when we arrived.  These were my three favorites.  The face-plant guy in the upper right was funny when we saw it, but even better later on when you could clearly see him being dragged back into the hole by some creature that had his right foot.  Very clever!  I think they came in 2nd place.  The turtle with the baby turtles were beautiful.  They did great work.  And the seal's whiskery face was my favorite (won me over by a nose).



It was overcast, so we didn't head down to the beach to watch the sunset.  We did go for a walk on the beach in the dwindling twilight, which was really nice.  Spent the evening playing games, gabbing and grazing through the treats everyone brought.  Good stuff!

Sunday was a trip to our favorite bakery for elevensies.  Plus some more pastry to bring home for later.  Delicious.  More walks on the beach, another visit to the green for the craft fair and parade.  There were some great floats at the parade this year.  The theme for Windmill Weekend was animals; people had fun with that. 

The Target Ship (there were even a few bombers to go with it).  Eastham turnips.
Of course there were lots of sharks and seals - it's been the talk of the summer!  These ones were cute!
A trip to the chocolate shop, a drive by the ocean, huge lobster rolls, scallops and clams for dinner.  We finished up the evening with games, wine and pastries.  Oh, yeah, and a lot more gabbing.  

By Monday morning there were just four of us left.  We headed down to Nauset Light.  That needs its own post, once I finish editing my videos.  Waves!  Wind!  Surfer dude!  I was ready to dive right in.  OMG, we had so much fun in that hour on the beach.

Then suddenly everyone had gone home and the weekend was over.  It flies by every year.  I am so lucky to have such a great group of friends to share this with (and access to an awesome cottage to house us all).  I feel a little guilty that I don't do any work more than shuttling my friends around all weekend. 

I'm heading out for one more walk on the beach before I have to go.  Until next year, gals!


2 comments :

  1. That sounds wonderful - glad your group had fair weather, though I'll bet you can have a great time even if it rains all weekend! Love that seal :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************