Saturday, September 15, 2018

Ocean Fun

On the last day of Chick Weekend we headed to Nauset Light in Eastham, MA.  It was windy, cloudy and cool.  We decided to see what the water was like and check out the seal/shark activity.  Turned out to be an exciting way to spend the morning.

Shark warnings, kite surfer, lots of sea foam, and a much shorter sand dune with a missing staircase

The wind was whipping and the waves were impressive as high tide rolled in.  We were immediately sandblasted as we got out of the car.  The stairs and the bathhouse were gone from last year.  They've given up on building stairs (which have been rebuilt year after year) and have opted for a sloped path through the dunes to get to the shoreline.  I know there were plans to rebuild the bathhouse; currently there's a sad little trailer at the other end of the parking lot.  I'm amazed how much has eroded in my lifetime.

The video is in three parts.  First is our initial view of the shore - the wind was wild.  You can hear me laughing that I got sand in my teeth just from standing there.  The second bit is the kite surfer - that looked like so much fun!  We continued to be buffeted by the wind but were no longer sandblasted once we got down to the water.  That part ends with a yelp as a stealthy wave came up to my knees.  The water was so warm.  It felt like bay-side water, not the usual flash-freeze-your-toes temperature I'm used to.   


The third bit is just the waves.  I've never seen so much beach foam and it was blowing all over.

This would have been fun to body surf in.  The undertow was strong and it took some work to keep my balance.  My sister was snapping photos, waiting for me to get caught again.  We were either discussing the surfer or pointing out a seal that popped up through waves.  Sure enough...



I got soaked.  At this point, even though it wasn't that warm out, I was half tempted to just dive in (I was a sodden mess already!).  I paid more attention after that; I heard the sound of the wave change and beat-feet it out of there when the next big one hit.  My friend didn't notice and she got as soaked as I had before.  We were still kind of drippy when we returned to the car.

Definitely worth the price of admission.  We had so much fun!  I felt like a little kid again.


No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************