Thursday, August 19, 2021

I Like Thursday: Growing Garden and Creepy Crawlies

 

I have lots of tomatoes!  Such a pretty shade of red.  They've been delicious.




We have a male hummingbird that guards the feeder- it's all his!  So we added a second feeder around the corner of the house.  It has become popular (although not when I snapped the photo).


I met up with a friend on Sunday and we hiked the Trail Through Time in Acton.  A lot of history packed in a small spot. 

I loved the green ferns surrounding the grey stones of the quarry.


We also passed the ruins of a pencil factory.  The building is gone, but the stone foundation and sluiceway are still there, along with these gears.  I got a kick that they look very similar to the ones in my ice cream machine.


We also explored the stone chamber which may have predated the colonies.  Glad we had flashlights - three steps in and it was pitch black.  But around the corner I found this incredibly cool spider.  I know - ick.  She was scary-big, but the sack glittered like a huge pear-shaped diamond.  We took several photos, but none of them did it justice.  The whole thing sparkled.  Seriously amazing.


And now a different, not-so-icky creepy crawly - my sister is trying her hand at fostering guinea pigs.   She let a pair of them loose for floor time and one disappeared.  She found the shy little pig stuffed under a cabinet.  That's one way to clean out the dust bunnies!

Those are my likes for the week.  Sharing with Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday.  Enjoy!

 

 

7 comments :

  1. Very cool hiking area! I may not have been brave enough to go into a cavern , but then I wouldn’t have experienced that spider! I not lover of arachnids but that sac was amazing! Do you know what kind of spider it was?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great likes. I have been eating Daughter's tomatoes while they are away. Nothing like the taste of fresh tomatoes. I tried to enlarge the photo to see that spider. That would have been an awesome sight. Yesterday we saw the largest garter snake I've ever seen...didn't get a photo. Happy Hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh red tomatoes off the vine - they are pretty! That looks like an amazing hike. I would love to have seen the spider web, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, Sally! I am so glad your sister found the little piggie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun hike.I had two big tomatoes from my garden for lunch today. LOL the GP was helping clean. My daughter got 2 more GP. She loves their sounds they make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pencil factory... pencils were just always there when I was growing up, like matches. But someone had to manufacture them! Oh the gears... it would be hard not to take some home for me.. but they should stay in situ I suppose. A prehistoric cave... wow and the sparkly sack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad your sister found her missing GP!! That cave sounds very interesting! It does look like a glittering diamond! I hope Henri wasn't too awful in your area. He went to far west to bother us too much. It might be worse tomorrow when he goes out to sea north of us.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************