Monday, October 18, 2021

Five Things on the Floor

Rob has commented that there's always five things on our floors:  hay, guinea pig poo, fabric, thread and chocolate.  Not all of it all the time (although in the past you could guarantee any three were present).  Some of it is seasonal, or dependent on my projects and my fostering status.

Thread and fabric are traditionally the most prevalent.  My microfiber yoga mat picks up everything on the floor and it doesn't take long before it's covered in flecks of white and bright colors of thread and fabric.  Snips of thread wander everywhere.  The fabric varies from big pieces (or an entire quilt on then floor) to scrappy pieces that are initially corralled in the sewing room.  Eventually these scraps sneak out - I've even found little pieces in the basement.  


I've blogged before that hay and poo on the floor are dead giveaways that there's guinea pigs in the house.  Hay and thread are very similar in their traveling habits - they cling to socks and clothing and like to spread far and wide.  Guinea pig poos tend to appear out of nowhere in unexpected spots leaving one to wonder how they got there.


But chocolate?  On the floor?  Say it isn't so!  Although not nearly as common and the first four items, whenever I work with melted chocolate it tends to get messy.  Imagine a more controlled version of the Swedish Chef.  Usually I limit the chocolate slopping to the counter top and all over me.  But occasionally it's splattered on the wall and inevitably lands on the floor.  Bummer, but it's the sign of good stuff in the kitchen! 


4 comments :

  1. I always have thread on the floor somewhere in my house! It's a sign that a quilter lives there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet we all have some variation of your 5 things! Instead of hay, at our house we're always tracking in leaves, especially this time of year. Guinea pig poo - hmmm? I'll have to think about that one. But stray threads, always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of guinea pig stuff, it is dog stuff here and Ned always has a stick or two in splinter form around. THreads yes everywhere...all over my fuzzy clothes and the mats. Constantly cleaning out my little hand vac. Melting chocolate is about the messiest thing you can do in the kitchen but that is a very cute photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wish I could get up from the floor!! =)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************