Thursday, October 21, 2021

I Like Thursday: Scarlet Reds and Pale Greens

A colorful post this week, from seasonal colors of green, orange and red, to a Scarlet piggy, then some pretty neutral colors and shiny silver.  Lots to like.

I harvested a few of my container carrots.  Pulled out big greens to discover these stubby little carrots. They're cute, but not what I was hoping for!


Cerrato's Pastry Shop has seasonal goodies.  This was a caramel apple bon bon - impressive looking!  (We still like their lemon ones the best.)

 


My sister finished making our new warning sign.  It's much bigger than the old one and printed on both sides.  Now we just need to hang it on our front post. 

On the topic of guinea pigs....

Saturday we traded Miss Piggy for Scarlet.  Scarlet has just been separated from her three sons.  She's no bigger than Bolt was when she had Buckaroo Banzai.  I can't imagine how Scarlet must have looked with three pups!  

She's with us to gain some weight and has already gained 3 oz!  Like Miss Piggy, Scarlet is very scared, and waits to run laps until after we cover the cage in the evening.  Unlike her predecessor, this pig is endlessly curious and makes use of the whole cage (even during the day).  She eats constantly - which is understandable!  The thing is, she has no idea what to eat beyond hay, pellets and lettuce.  This is typical of very young guinea pigs or those who've not been given other veggies.  I've just managed to convince her that carrot peelings are good.  I have my work cut out for me!

Speaking of cutting out....

I was unable to get to Ryco's going-out-of-business sale.  I am sad about that for so many reasons.  However, I made sure to get to New England Fabrics' anniversary sale and came home with 16 yards of fabric.  Oof.

I went primarily for baby quilt fabric and whatever was a good deal.  Most of the yardage is for me:  backings or colors that caught my eye.  The second column is a bunch of neutrals for the baby quilt (to go with the third column of fabrics which were already in my stash).  We'll see which colors make it into the quilt.

I need to start cutting all this fabric!

 

This little pepper mill arrived in the mail.  Isn't it pretty?  I like to use fresh pepper in my recipes, but our pepper mill grinds so slowly (and unevenly).  I was grinding stuff with a mortar and pestle which was fast, but even more uneven.  This little thing grinds a lot, quickly, and even has a little reservoir to catch the pepper.  That will make it easy to measure.  

That covers my likes for the week.  Linking up with Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday



9 comments :

  1. Scarlet is so pretty! I’m sure you will win her over to veggies!
    Yea for a working reliable pepper mill! Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nifty stuff this week. Love the pepper mill, we have something similar for nutmeg. Scarlett sounds like the post about her will be fun. Perhaps the carrots needed more time to grow or a taller container to allow them to "grow out" their roots, like potatoes do. Nice fabric haul and a sale too. Well done. Nice apple too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scarlet is a sweet little pig. I hope she decides to experiment with other tasty delights. Those carrots are fun. I know when we grow carrots, when pulled out of the ground they are all different shapes. Lots of fabric there to play with, and what a pretty pepper mill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pretty pepper mill! And the shades of blue in the fabric are beautiful. You'll make some pretty quilts with those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your warning sign is hilarious, and Scarlet looks sweet as can be! You found lots of pretties at the fabric sale - they look like you'll be able to use them in lots of projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, well, well, Sally! That new pepper mill looks pretty darn nifty. I need a new mill, myself. Talk about grinding unevenly . . . yes, that definitely describes my current model. Good job on the pretty fabrics! I need to make a baby quilt, too but am waiting to hear what the theme is. Sweet little Scarlet! You'll get her on the straight and healthy in no time. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen such a pretty pepper mill! You bought some nice fabrics. I'm sure you'll fatten up Scarlet. She's so cute! I want that caramel apple bon bon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that pepper mill is gorgeous! I too enjoy a little freshly ground for recipes but I have one of those cheap little plastic things. I need one like yours!!
    Thanks for sharing info about little Scarlet. Very interesting to me and she's a lucky Scarlet to have landed with you.
    Looks like you scored with that fabric haul. Must have felt good!
    I love caramel apples; years ago I used to make them to give out at Halloween. I don't know where I got the energy working and with two kids. But I always loved Halloween, so...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your carrots are just the right size for little GP. Scarlet is such a cutie, and Miss Piggy and she are such lucky little girls that there are people who are willing to foster until they find their furrever home. Fun fabric acquisitions. I have been eyeing a fancy pepper grinder lately too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************