Thursday, October 28, 2021

I Like Thursday: Lost and Found

Wonderful weather on Sunday.  I spent the day hiking around Dana, MA with a friend.  The town of Dana was disincorporated in 1938 to create the Quabbin reservoir.  It remains well above the water line (unlike some other towns) and is part of the watershed.

The buildings are gone but many of the foundations are there.  We were intrigued by the lime green moss on these rocks.  It looked like florescent spray paint.


The common had photographs of the various buildings, so you could see what the area looked like before they tore it down.

About a mile and a half from Dana common is the crash site of an F-94 Starfire jet.  The crater was impressive and the plane was mush.  Some metal was rusted but other was still shiny new, even after 66 years.


Another half mile from the crash site was a spot called Indian Kitchen.  An odd name for an impressive set of ledges.  I was amazed at the number of trees growing straight from the rocks.  Standing under the overhang was a little unnerving - I swear I could feel the weight of the rock above me. 

Earlier we passed a pond that had a beaver lodge.  As we returned to our cars my friend pointed out a large furry creature by the water's edge.  WAY too big to be a beaver.  Then it looked at us and dove into the water - a bear!  I couldn't get my camera out in time - so all I have is lots of water and a little black spot.  Trust me - that's a bear.

Do you recall last year's attempt to attend the Naumkeag Pumpkin Show? (I wrote about it here.)  We're making another go at it this year - the weather will be damp and chilly, but the nor'easter should blow out before evening.  I'll post photos next week!

Next up is a nerdy like - I found out about a site that does photo cleanup: Cleanup.pictures.  Grab a photo, mark what you want removed, and voila!  thing removed.  In my case, I removed my friend's legs and head from two of the shots above.  It's pretty nifty how the AI recreates the background.  There's no way I could have photoshopped that on my own.

Scarlet the guinea pig continues to fatten up and generally be cute.  She runs crazy laps every night, but stops when I get out the camera.  <sigh>  Maybe some photos next week.

One last like - I'm making progress on various sewing projects.  I've got creepy creepers and even picked up the QAYG hexies quilt which languished over the summer. (It also illustrates one of my Five on the Floor).  Ooh - and I made Halloween Bark - definitely something to like (and contributed to The Five).  I guess that's two last likes.

That's a wrap!  Happy Halloween!  When next we meet up at I Like Thursday, it will be November.  How can that be!?!



8 comments :

  1. What a wonderful hiking area! But,a bear! Yikes! I had to clime on your Five On The Floor link, and then giggle!we don’t have pig poo, but everything else! Add in sawdust from DH’s hobby room and leaves from the back deck! We could easily do 5 things most days! :) :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate auto correct! I “clicked”. on your link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a really neat children's book called Letting Swift River Go about the building of Quabbin Reservoir and what happened to the town. I used to read it to my 5th graders. Looks like a fascinating place to visit. And wow to see a bear, too! Your Halloween bark sounds yummy, but dangerous, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana looks like a lovely place for a hike - but I wouldn't have expected to find a bear there! Thanks for the tip on photo cleanup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally! I have to giggle at Scarlett stopping her running when you pull out the camera. That sounds like our baby - he stops doing whatever he is doing to stare at the camera. My theory is that they want to know what that thing is?!! Is it going to hurt me, in Scarlett's case, and in Chase's case, do I need to crawl over there to get my hands on it?!! Enjoy the pumpkin fest - the weather just has to be better, right?! Chilly is expected but a break from rain would be nice. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your hikes look awesome. The ledges look so intriguing. And a bear! Glad Scarlett is settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You live in such a gorgeous area. Perfect for hiking! There have been bear sightings in my area but I haven't seen one yet. That's fine with me! Hope Scarlett is doing well!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************