Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Leafy Sweatshirt

 

Years ago I raw-edge appliqued a sweatshirt with colorful leaves.  The sweatshirt is now well worn and most of the leaves are falling off.  It's heading for the recycle bin one of these days.

I happened to mention to my mom I might attempt to re-make the sweatshirt.  She said she'd love one. I started on the leaves while she found a sweatshirt her size (you can see the original sweatshirt and my first leaves here.)

The new leaves are slightly larger than my original design.  When I first pinned on the new leaves onto my mother's petite sweatshirt, they dominated the entire sweatshirt.  The colors popped but it was overwhelming!


 

I redesigned the layout several times before I found something I liked.  I removed most of the leaves then cut and prepped some new ones.  Most of the leaves are around the yolk and spill down the front and the back.

What a difference background makes!  The colors against the black show up much more than against the blue.  I fused them in place, then carefully hand stitched each one around the edges with matching thread.  The leaves aren't as detailed as the raw-edge leaves, but I'm happy with the trade-off.  This should wear a lot better than my old sweatshirt.

My mother was thrilled to get it at Christmas.  It looks great on her and I think it will get a lot of wear.

Sharing with:
Wendy's Quilts and More - Peacock Party
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I get a Whoop Whoop?


2 comments :

  1. Love the appliqued leaves to your mother's sweatshirt, Sally. So very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your original light blue sweatshirt with leaves is so pretty, but I also like the brown one for your mom. Very Autumn looking! I bet she'll get a lot of use out of it, too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************