Sunday, August 9, 2015

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Zucchini is not my favorite vegetable.  However, it does make nice zucchini bread.  Chocolate zucchini bread is even better!

This recipe was originally from a coworker.  I have modified it so much over the years, I'm not sure she'd recognize it.  The protein powder is a recent addition; a half cup of wheat germ works just as well.  I also tend to add a few more chocolate chips because... well... chocolate!  Can't go wrong with that.

It's not too sweet, very chocolaty and not too dense.  There's no oil or butter, and with the whole wheat and walnuts, one could argue its halfway healthy.  At least that's what I tell myself when I have a slice with my mid-morning cup of tea.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
½ cup applesauce
1 scant cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
½ cup chocolate chips
½ cup walnuts
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup chocolate protein powder (or wheat germ)
½ cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves

Preheat oven to 350.  Beat together all wet ingredients. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl and then add to wet ingredients.  Pour into a large greased loaf pan, or into four small loaf pans.  Bake for 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (smaller pans are usually done in 45 minutes).

3 comments :

  1. sounds yummy! A great way to use up zucchini! will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegan! Book-marked for making as a not-terrible treat for my picky-eating sugarholic spawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite vegan - still has eggs. But if you have a good egg substitute (I have yet to try aquafaba with this), I'm sure it would work!

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************