Friday, January 26, 2024

Project Quilting 15.2 - Milky Way Postcard

My second Project Quilting challenge is complete!  I made another postcard.  This week's challenge was Sky Color - the twist was to not use more than 10% of typical "sky" blue.  My first thought was an evening star at sunset; I was thinking reds and blues.  Then Rob suggested the Milky Way.  Hmmm... that had potential.  Last September I stood with a friend at Coast Guard Beach in Eastham, admiring the stars in the Milky Way.  That's what popped into my head. 

And I really like how it came out.  I started with black fabric, added some dark blue, then indigo.  I bound it in a very dark purple.

It's quilted in shiny grey and flat black.  Then I embroidered a bunch of french knots and some running stitch with white, cream and pastel pink and blue thread entwined with sparkly thread of purple, blue and white.  It twinkles quite nicely in the sunlight.

I tried to capture the shine - this has the true color, but it's still missing the sparkle.  In low light the stars really pop.  It's a surprisingly fun little piece. 

Sharing with:
Persimon Dreams - Project Quilting 15.2
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop-Whoop?
A Quiltery - Put Your Foot Down Thursday
Alycia Quilts - Finished or Not Friday
Nina-Marie - Off the Wall Friday

13 comments :

  1. It is beautiful! Very well done. The design would make a gorgous purse or on a jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great inspiration, Sally! I love how that turned out. It has a beautiful flow to it, and I bet the sparkle you see in person is a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. I love that nighttime sky. The French knots look good as stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interpretation of the night time view from Coast Guard beach. My husband's family is from Eastham. Fun to see that referenced your in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and I love that you brought forth a memory of watching the milky way to your stitching.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of the night sky. I would never guess those were French knots. I thought they were beads the first time I looked at it. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is gorgeous! The french knots are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally - so pretty. I am reading a book right now, about how to tell stories. The best stories are ones that bring back emotions for us - I think you recreated a story with this postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you need a recipient for this lovely postcard, I will happily provide my address!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this, it makes me wish spring would hurry up and arrive. Thank you for sharing in Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Milky Way postcard is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************