Thursday, April 23, 2020

I Like Thursday: Snow, Switch Case, Sewing

It snowed early Saturday, then was sunny and 62F on Sunday.  It's spring!

I was a little surprised it was coming down as snow, since the thermometer was reading 36F.  It stuck to everything.  Trees really haven't started budding yet, it was pretty. 

There's a bunch of daffodils in the yard, but only a few have actually bloomed.  Yellow, green and white.





I spent a large chunk of the snowy Saturday putting together my nephew's carry case I had promised him at Christmas.  It was an adventure:  SidesTopInsidesAll done!

This is an odd little like - as I was threading a needle to stitch binding on the case when it struck me how many little skills we all have that we don't even think about.  Threading a needle, knotting the thread, stitching a line without pulling the thread out of the needle.  The odd little skills you learn ages ago and don't even remember you have them.

I delivered it on Monday (along with a much needed care package of TP - my sister has still not been able to find any).  Nephew was pleased - and demonstrated it filled with the gear.  A far cry from the cardboard box he was using to tote it around.  We wore masks and stayed apart, but it was still great to see my sister in person.

And I liked the drive to her house.  Many of the trees are starting to bud - far more than in our yard.  So I was quite excited to see as much green as I did during the drive.

I am amused that I was sent back home with compost in three sealed containers.  Just because my sister can't visit doesn't mean she doesn't save scraps for my compost pile!  LOL.

Now that I'm done with the carry case and before I start a few more masks I'm working on a bunch of leftovers projects.  Yay!

It's amazing how much the HST diamonds have shrunk when sewed together.  It's funny, too, how the change in size has changed my opinion of it:  it's gone from what-a-pretty-mini-quilt to OMG-it's-CUTE!  Typical female reaction to tiny things?

I can't wait for the libraries to reopen, but have jumped into e-reading.  Thank you, Rosemary, for the info on linking to more than one library network on Libby!  I found a half dozen books that weren't in C/W MARS and at least three of them were available immediately!  How silly you can't put the whole application on inter-library-load mode.  Regardless, I am happy with the additional pool of books.  I just finished Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (I even guessed the killer soon after the murder).  I'm almost done with The Girl Who Drank the MoonEarly Riser is up next.  Yay for books!

Looking forward to working on sewing projects - 'cause it's not like I've got other plans this weekend!  Hope you're all staying healthy.  Check out how others are finding a bright spot or two during their isolation at Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday.


11 comments :

  1. I love the case you made! It looks a bit challenging and I am sure he loved it!!! Hoping none of us get any more snow and that a real spring season of hope blooms soon! Stay well and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally! How fabulous that you were able to make and DELIVER the bag to your nephew. And I'll bet your sister was giddy with the TP gift. Pretty little snow - the daffodils must be very hardy because they often are surrounded by snow. Your HST project is so pretty! I love HSTs - the are so versatile. I know our library participates in Libby - I'll have to give it a try to see if some of the books I'd like to read are available on there. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know about the hst's mine shrunk so much I need a magnifier to see them! the smaller a project the more graphic it is and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for books is so true! They are definitely my escape right now. The case for your nephew turned out so great - what a project! I, too, am thankful for all those little skills that I use daily and don't even have to think about. Your HST project is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nephew's case is quite intricate looking and a real feat of sewing. I can't imagine stitching something like that. More compost is always welcome; I sometimes collect daughters. I wonder could I do a similar thing with all those tiny triangles I cut from my scraps. Yours is looking so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "little skills" was right on the mark for me. I can tell you that it's a very startling thing when you haven't done any hand-sewing in ages, then find that you can't see the eye of the needle, struggle to hold the thread steady enough to aim for the spot where you know the eye must be, and then can't hang onto the needle because of the pain in your thumb. I've ordered longer needles with bigger eyes, and will keep a pair of embiggening glasses in the sewing drawer from now on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK I obviously missed what the function of the case is. But it looks awesome. I know we keep getting snow. Up to 70, down to the low 30's for a week. Up to 60, then snow. Pretty quilt with your left overs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling and delightful describes your cute quilt, too. I'm also impressed with your nephew's case. He's got a talented auntie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nifty carrying case! What's it for? Camera stuff? Love your HST minis!!! And that snow--we usually get one good snowstorm every April. It had our daffodils down for a bit, but they stood back up again after several days of sunshine. So I can relate to the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am intrigued with the carry case you made your nephew! That is just TOO cool for words! I start wondering if I need one! I don't pick up much on my hikes but I do find a pretty rock or pinecone sometimes. Glad you got to do a little visit...not too close visit! We all need those! Have a good weekend! It will be near 90 here in FL today.....what a difference! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I could help out with your Libby app! It took me a while to figure it out. We're supposed to get snow Monday morning. I think it's too late but the weather won't listen to me! I'm sure your nephew loves his case. It looks great in the picture! Love your scrap quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************