Sunday, January 9, 2022

A Little Foraging


My current Dakin foster guinea pigs are a pair of very active boys.  They demand treats whenever we're in the kitchen.  So to keep Brownie and Twix from getting bored, I make those two work for their treats.  I don't hand them the parsley and cilantro; instead I hang it around the cage.  The boys run around trying to find it.

Brownie is more methodical and persistent and has learned to follow his nose.  Twix often simply follows Brownie around.




I got a kick out of seeing Brownie's teeth.  Chomp!  It looks like the cilantro initially fought back, but as you can see, Brownie pulled it down in the end.  Success!

They're catching on quick, though.  After a few days of this, they rush around to the usual spots.  It takes them less and less time to find the pieces.  Still, it's more work than finding it in a heap in one spot in the cage.  Gotta work those little piggy grey cells!



5 comments :

  1. it's more realistic to hunt and gather and makes eating a game! They are so cute, and good for you to give them little piggie problem solving skills

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great game for the boys to play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally - I could probably benefit from having to run around for my food! Adorable, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with, Angie! =) Isn't Twix a pretty fellow?? Such pretty colouring.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************