Thursday, June 28, 2018

I Like Thursday: Sharing Stuff

June slipped away far faster than I anticipated.  I don't like that.  But there were things I did like.

Doesn't look like much, but it was delicious!
I like that I'm continuing to try new recipes (the only New Year's resolution I've stuck with).  Plus the Game Day crew seem to be happy to taste-test them.  Two new recipes last week.

It has been ages since I've made a Banana Cream Pie.  I've lost my aunt's recipe, but saw this one.  This pie was an adventure.  I used duck eggs, since the local chickens haven't been forthcoming.  They're huge and did not want to separate.  At all.  Then I didn't cook the custard long enough so it didn't set (because of the eggs?  the whole wheat flour?  who knows).  So I was cooking it again at 10pm when I should have been sleeping.  Assembled the pie the next morning with a somewhat-firm custard and lovely whipped cream, then froze it, hoping it would travel to Game Day in one piece.  Well... it almost made it.  An ill-advised sharp turn schlopped the contents to one side of the pie crust.  A little more freezing once I arrived, and it stayed solid enough for everyone to enjoy.  It was quite tasty - several people went for seconds.  I will definitely have to try it again... and cook that custard!



The pie left me with three egg whites (sort of) that needed to be used up.  Lo and behold - I had this Flourless Chocolate Cookies recipe to try out that called for egg whites.  Perfect!  People liked them, too.  They're a little more crunchy than I like, but they go great crumbled up over ice cream.  Terrific flavor.  


I like Love Rocks. I enjoy finding the rocks, then making them, then leaving them for people to find.  Spread a little love!


I liked Art in the Park - an art installation at Bird Park in Walpole, MA.  They're made by kids, all around the park.  I forgot to take photos when I was there, but it will be there until August, and I should be there again in late July.  It was a fun thing to stumble across when visiting.


I like this pattern.  I've made two pairs of the wrap pants - love them.  And now the pattern is making the rounds through my friends who want to make a pair.  It's good to share!

So I'm sharing with Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday.  Thanks for stopping by!


7 comments :

  1. Love those pants, they are very cool. All your baking looks very delish and how cute are those little heart rocks. How nice to leave them in places so people discover them. Yes, June whizzed by a little too quickly for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been baking sweets, but I am eating a bowl of strawberry ice cream right now (for breakfast) so your treats sound wonderful to me! And I love the rocks, too...are you using regular acrylic paints. or something stone-specific? What a lovely gift for the finders :)
    I once bought a swimsuit at a craft fair that had "bottoms" like the ones in your pattern. It was when I used to do aquarobics and it was great - nothing to ride up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I want pie and chocolate cookies! LOL Love those pants! And love rocks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your goodies always look delicious! It's always good to have friends to share them with. I love that you paint those rocks and leave them for people to find. I've seen that around here, too - always a fun surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally,
    Those wrap pants are very cool and stylish! They look like they might be easy to make, too. LOVE the recipes you share, and those cookies look fabulous as does the pie. I'm not a huge lover of banana cream although I love bananas, but your recommendation puts it to the top of the list when I need to make one. Our sweet boy, Dominic, loves bananas so this might be in his future. I still haven't made those brownie/cookies and it is way too hot to make them this weekend. I still have the recipe sitting right here next to my chair - I haven't forgotten! Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love banana cream pie and will definitely make it sometime this summer. Yes, often baking is an adventure and you have to find solutions on the fly. Luckily things always seem to taste good no matter if they don't quite look like they should.
    You are so kind to share your love rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the top actually, but until I find wherever my waistline went, I won't be wearing it. Banana cream pie is so good for summer. They just made them on Master Chef show. Carmalized bananas. Our family skipped that step and it sounds great actually.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************