Monday, October 15, 2018

Wavy Quilting

I fought so hard to quilt the first seven lines on this quilt.  Took me hours between ripping out the first two lines and dealing with snapped thread.  The next 10 were a little easier and faster.  At that point I wasn't sold on the design, but forged ahead with the last set of lines.  I whipped through those in less than 30 minutes.  Wonderful!  I didn't snap the thread once even though I was cruising along with the walking foot.

I based the quilting on this tutorial.  I wanted to do the criss-crossed lines they described because it looks so cool.  However, now that this quilt has been resting on my design floor for a couple of days, I'm not so sure.  I suspect another set of wavy lines would be too dense.  I don't see a place where a criss-crossed pair of lines would look right.  At this point I should just bind it and be done with the quilt.  I risk ruining it if I try to add any more to it.  It's so hard to know when to stop.

The back is really simple, but I like it almost as much as the front.  I had planned to put corner pockets and a loop on one side to allow using a dowel to hang it.  But now I'm not so sure I want to add anything to the back more than a small corner label.  I had intended this to be a baby quilt, but I liked the idea of using it as a wall hanging.  Well, plenty of ways it could be mounted without me adding pockets and loops.  Let's bind this!

Sharing with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.


7 comments :

  1. You're right! Stop now and bind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks perfect to me :) And in the first picture, the brightly-colored squares seem to float above the rest of the quilt! Maybe it's the angle of your shot? I can't tell...is that optical illusion only in the photograph, or do you see it that way in real life? Pretty cool, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! It's perfect as it is! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I just had the exact same feelings about the exact same quilting design and after looking at it for several days, I bound it and it's on it's way. We are our own best critics aren't we. I sure do love your quilt. The bright colored squares make the design pop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally! I think your quilting looks great and just enough. I love wavy lines . . . and I forget to do them. Hmm, I am looking for options on my quilting project right now and you have inspired me. I can hardly wait to get home so I can do a few wavy lines!! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks perfect as is! Sometimes we overthink things (I may be guilty of that!). I have suddenly become a no reply on blogger blogs with embedded comment boxes so if you answer here is my email ephdra at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************