Monday, February 22, 2021

Kite Flowers

 

I love how this mug rug turned out.  Even the border is pretty awesome.  Working with the mini kites with such tiny partial wasn't easy.  I'm not sure I'd want to tackle it again, but the results are stunning (at least I think so).

I free-motioned flowers over the colored bits.  I had intended to quilt the black with a walking foot - either straight line or zig-zag.  In the end I free-motioned zig-zag echos around the centers.  

 

I happened to have a dark pink thread in the bobbin (from Kitty Corners), which I thought would be okay with the light pink top thread.  That worked fine on the red flower, but it pulled through in spots on the gold flower.  I didn't like it.  So I swapped out to a lighter pink.   

I ripped out the the stitching on the yellow flower, but kept the red flower.  The backing shows one darker pink flower which I decided to leave in.  It's a fun little accent.

Sharing with:
Love Laugh Quilt - Monday Making
My Quilt Infatuation - Needle & Thread Thursday
Wendy's Quilts and More - Peacock Party
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

3 comments :

  1. That is a great design, Sally! I really love the binding fabric. Isn't it fun to play with a design in a small way, just to see what happens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, the dark background and border fabric makes the quilting pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally - that is a stunning mug rug! I can almost imagine the kites flying in the spring breeze!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************