Saturday, February 6, 2021

Project Quilting 12.3: Mini Nauset Light

Project Quilting 12.3 is virtual vacations.  One of my favorite vacation spots is on Cape Cod, near Nauset Light.  I had squirreled away a tiny paper pieced lighthouse pattern designed by Quilt Art Designs that I had intended to make some day.  Today was the day!  (Well, technically four evenings...)

The pattern is for a 4-inch block.  I enlarged it to 6 inches and changed the number of stripes on the lighthouse to match Nauset Light.  The finished piece is 8¼ inches square.

I've had this sea urchin fabric for years.  I love it although it never seems to go with any projects.  This seemed the perfect place to use it.  I thought it might be washed out against the brighter colors of the block so I decided to add in a skinny border.  Somewhere in my thought process, I combined the borders into a very wide flange binding.  I cut that binding fabric three times to get a neat row of sea urchins in the correct width.  Sheesh.  Then it was so wide I couldn't join the binding ends at a 45° angle - the cut would have been as wide as the block!  I think the result was well worth the hassle.

I was going to back it in the urchins as well, but I dug out this sailboat fabric.  Excellent!  It could be a mug rug, but with the wide binding it would look great hanging on the wall.  I may need to add a mini sleeve to the back.

Sharing with:
Persimon Dreams - Project Quilting 12.3
Wendy's Quilts and More - Peacock Party
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?  

6 comments :

  1. such work in such a small paper pieced block... love your border/flange fabric a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt and great design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a LOT of piecing in one small block!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A vacation at Cape Cod sounds like a rather great plan. Fabulous piecing AND love the boat backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! Sounds like a great vacation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done ! Living where we do, we haven’t seen many lighthouses! I love them though! You did a great job and the sea urchin fabric is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************