Monday, June 14, 2021

Introducing the Boys

Buckaroo Banzai was three weeks old on Wednesday.  Can you believe it?  How time flies.  He needed to be separated from the sows to ensure no more pregnancies.  It was time to introduce him to Lancelot.

So...

In this corner, weighing in at 305g, in black and white and still wet behind the ears is the baby Buckaroo Banzai!  And in this corner, weighing in at 455g, in fuzzy chocolate and white is the newcomer Lancelot!  Let's have a good clean introduction.  Don't make me use the Dustpan of Doom.

Introductions have never gone so smoothly (I've been through some rough ones).  Not even 30 minutes of rublestrutting and humping has passed when I found them huddled together under the hut.  I shrunk down the size of the pen to be the size of their cage soon after that.  I gave them a couple of hours before moving them to the cage, just being cautious.  All was quiet.

I set up Willow's old cage when she had to be separated from the Newbies.  It's slightly larger than the one Lancelot had been living in.  It's still far too small for a pair of boars but it's temporary and they're still small, so I'm hoping it will do for now.  In addition to being bigger than the store-bought cage, it's new space to both pigs, so Lancelot won't see Banzai as being an interloper.

I can't tell you how happy Lancelot is at having a friend.  He rumbles at Banzai then takes off with mad, crazy popcorning, then goes back to checking out Banzai.  It's like he doesn't believe his eyes:  I have a friend!  He's really here!

I haven't been able to capture their best antics - they stop as soon as I step near the cage and turn on the camera.  I want to be able to show you how wild and silly they are.

Banzai is happy, too.  Lance is different than the aunties, but it's cool to have a friend.  More importantly, it means I've stopped double-checking that he really is a boy (it took several days to confirm, and he was getting tired of being flipped over and poked at).

It's good to have a big brother.  

I can't believe that Lance was Banzai's size when he first arrived here.  How much they've both grown in two weeks!


4 comments :

  1. wow so early to be concerned with mating. 3 weeks old! And lance was bonzai's size when lance got there. wowie!
    you know that's exactly how I feel when I meet someone who is going to be a friend, yea! Someone to explore life and be safe with!
    You provided the world they get to inhabit, and it's a good one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness haha! Their popcorning silliness is just too cute! I am glad the intros went so well and I hope they stay friends forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was the same as Lee Anna - three weeks and a pregnancy could happen! This is why rodents run the world! Love the video, as always! I am so impressed with the digs that you offer your piggies - who wouldn't run around with glee in a luxury apartment like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow how quickly they grow. So glad that they are going to be friends.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************