Thursday, February 9, 2023

I Like Thursday: Finishes and Favorites

A busy week with good stuff to share with the I Like Thursday group over at Not Afraid of Color. 

I pushed through my puckering problem and finished the quilt top as well as part of the backing.  I've even cut the binding.  Once I prep the batting I can sandwich it.  I'd like to do that by Sunday so I can focus on the next Project Quilting challenge next week.  Exciting!

I bought a "new" sewing machine to replace my dying.  I was considering how to get rid of the old machine, until Rob pointed out we could try to repair it.  The pieces that are broken are fairly inexpensive - it's the labor involved that I was told wouldn't be worth it.  But we're curious, so we'll give it a try ourselves.  It would be nice to pass on a working machine to someone.

My recipient saw my post about the phone pouch I made for last week's Project Quilting challenge.  She knew immediately it was for her and can't wait to get it.  Yay!  My sister came up with the idea and is now brainstorming for something small I can make her for the next challenge.  LOL.

The pouch's pinks and red make me think of Valentine's day.  This week's prompt is what special things we do for Valentine's day.  If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm all about chocolate and pastries!  That's what we get for each other for Valentine's day.  (I'm sure I'll have photos for next week's post.)

One of my favorite Valentine's memories was back while I was in college.  The woman I rented my room from had a friend - he'd get a big bucket of carnations and spend Valentine's day driving around the area, giving each woman he knew a carnation.  I got one, too!  It was such a nice, unexpected surprise.  Obviously made an impression if I still remember it after all these years.

Take a look at this house I drove by last week.  I should really try to get a better photo.  What a paint job.  And all the nooks and crannies.  Check out the dragon on the turret on the far right.  How cool is that?!?

Lots of lovely things to like this week (and lots to look forward for in the week to come!).



7 comments :

  1. That is a sweet memory. How thoughtful of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your snowball top looks wonderful! So glad it worked out, and the new sewing machine, too. It might be an interesting learning experience to try to fix the old one. I love the carnation story - what a neat thing to do! And that is really cool house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful memory
    Wow to the house. That is a lot of detail to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue and yellow curves quilt is eye catching and the backing looks to be very interesting, too. The phone case is so pretty and useful. The paint on that house is one of a kind, for sure. Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that phone pouch! I'm sure that will come in handy. Your quilt top is just gorgeous! Love the carnation story. So nice! I love that house you drove by. So unique!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your snowball quilt is so pretty. Good luck with your old machine. I love to tinker with stuff, but I'm not sure I could figure out a sewing machine. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt in yellows and blues...how they go together so well to the eye, is gorgeous. That house-amazing. And what a sweet gesture and meaningful too. Enjoy your pastries and chocolates, you two!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************