Monday, February 6, 2023

Puckering Snowballs

I spent a good chunk of the weekend working on the flowering snowball quilt.  Progress!  But it wasn't smooth sailing.  

The first few pieces I sewed together backwards.  Not an auspicious start!  Ripped them out and put them back together the right way.  Then I kept getting puckers - about every third block.  Stop, rip, restitch, iron, repeat.  I had some choice words about that (one of them rhymed with pucker).  Bah!

 

Then this block.  I didn't bother putting the cream pieces on the design wall.  So any blanks spots were stitched with cream.  This piece was supposed to have one light blue piece, but I had taken that piece off the design wall.  Oops!  I pulled out the cream and added the blue... in the wrong place.  That required ripping out even more seams!  Luckily third time was a charm and I got it right.  


The rest of the pieces went together quite nicely.  I've got the first, third and fifth columns all stitched together.   I'm still trying to decide between the purple corners and the gold.  Purple really ties the blue to the center - it feels like a single object.  But the gold gives a bit more movement.  Rob likes the gold corners best.  I'm leaning that way myself right now.

Today I'm letting it stew on the wall for a bit.  I'll start thinking about backing and how to quilt it.  But that means I could be sandwiching and quilting it before the end of the month.  Woot!









8 comments :

  1. Sally, all those curves are really impressive! Despite all the angst..the puckers, the over-use of the seam ripper, sewing pieces in the wrong places, the choice words uttered etc, this is going to be an amazing quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there - you've got this! It's looking good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it wasn't funny at the time, but your story does have a bit of comedy to it. I'm glad you stuck with it. This quilt is going to be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read even when I don't get it because you make it so interesting. Soon to start a quilt project, I am confident it will be more fun after following along your process. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sally, sorry about all the problems, no fun at all (but I had to smile too, we've all been there) First is always the worst, and all those curves! I know I would have used the seam ripper a lot too! It's going to be gorgeous, hang in there! Before you know it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire you working with all those curves! They look nice when done but can be such a pain to sew. I think you're over the hump and getting it done! It looks great so just keep going. You're almost there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work. Love the colors you have chosen ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty quilt! Glad you pushed through your issues. Lol on rhyming with "pucker"! Glad to know I'm not the only one. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************