Saturday, February 18, 2023

Project Quilting 14.4: Watership Down Post Cards

My Project Quilting projects seem to be shrinking.  I started with pillows, then switched to a phone pouch and now I made post cards.  This week's challenge was A Novel Project - inspiration drawn from a book I've read.  So many books!  Which one to choose?  I immediately thought of some of my oldest favorites:  The Westing Game, The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues, The Blue Sword.  But they were obscure or would be hard to work with.  And what would I make?  

I stewed on it a day or two and decided a post card of Watership Down.  I wanted El-ahrairah and the Black Rabbit of Inlé.  I ended up with a couple of extra brown rabbits, so I made two post cards.

The hardest bit was shrinking the rabbits down small enough to fit on the 4x6" card and yet be big enough to work with.  Once they were cut out and ironed on they needed a little embellishment.  I pulled out my book and first read the very end - it always makes me weepy.  Then I read the chapter where El-ahrairah goes to the Black Rabbit.  The Black Rabbit has very little description, other than having red eyes.  I caught the bit where Frith restored El-ahrairah ears and added a little bit of starlight.  I had to go back and reread the ending.  The movie/mini-series portray the Black Rabbit collecting Hazel at the end, but it's El-ahrairah who comes to get him.  The faint silver light around the ears is the give away.  I don't know if I realized that before.  

So I gave the Black Rabbit his red eye and El-ahrairah a little sparkly outline around his ears in addition to their fluffy white tails.  Quilting was quite simple:  I outlined the edges and added some grass.  I'm still experimenting with how best to bind post cards.  What I have isn't perfect, but it will do.

Not bad!  Kind of cute.  All done - time to post.  Yay!

Sharing with:
Persimon Dreams - Project Quilting 14.4
Wendy's Quilts and More - Peacock Party
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

 


9 comments :

  1. When you mentioned Watership Down, I immediately thought of the sad ending. I think I need to reread it and pay more attention to those characters. Your postcards are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve not read Watership Down! I know, I know! How can that be? I don’t know! But I know that now I want to read it for sure! Thank you for the lovely synopsis that made me know I need to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is always something to discover when re-reading favourite books. Your postcards with the cute rabbits hopping across are so pretty....and darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rabbits leaping are beautifully well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you have the rabbits in action, Sally! The individual details for each rabbit are especially neat. Are you sending these to someone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those rabbits are SEW darling!! Congratulations on such a sweet challenge finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These came out so adorable! If you mail these out, someone is going to get such a treat in the mail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful, Sally. I love them so much. I loved that book and the ending made me weepy too. I have a thing about rabbits; my nickname was Bunny for my first 7 years and when I checked, I found out I'd been born in the year of the rabbit. What a great project for you!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************