Monday, March 4, 2019

NYB Beginnings

I have begun the New York Beauty quilt!  These are the first three (of 49+) blocks.

I haven't squared out the blocks yet.  This is for two reasons.  First, I'm not sure which background color I want to start adding to these.  Secondly, my sister requested all the circles be the same size.  The patterns I'm using come in three different circumferences, which I can easily force to one size by adding an extra band to the two smaller sizes.  But I'm wondering if I really want to do that.  The goal is to make these look like circles - so rather than making them all the same size, I may instead pair up the similar-sized patterns for any circular combinations.  Does that make sense?  Either way, I'll wait until I get several more partial blocks completed before I decide how add the background.

I started with the simplest block from the series.  That allowed me to wade back into paper piecing, matching points and stitching curves.  I stuck with mostly the golds instead of the high-contrast colors, so they may look bland.  Don't worry - it will get colorful.  The freezer paper worked great - still sticking after three uses; I may even get a fourth.  This is perfect; I need at least three blocks from each pattern, then mix and match pieces to make a few more patterns.  It made the tracing and folding of all those pieces worthwhile.

I've started working on the second pattern.  It has a lot more pieces; time to play with the contrast colors.  I got this far before I managed to make a common mistake with paper piecing:  sewing the wrong side to the right side of the fabric.  <sigh>  I suspect I'll have my fair share of ripping pieces like this out.

The most time consuming process of a block is deciding what colors to use and where to put them!  I dithered over this block for quite a while before I even started.  My goal is 10 blocks a week.  The easy blocks were a good start, but the rest have a lot more pieces.  Maybe 10 was too ambitious?  I guess I'll see...


3 comments :

  1. Wow....that's a lot of blocks, but it looks as if you are going to have the best time with this quilt. Love your fabric choices in this block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes complete sense to me. I am making a NYB quilt right now too and have discovered that I want all the same circumferences. I do think there are places in my arrangement that will cater to some smaller circles as long as they are the same size next to each other.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************