Thursday, July 29, 2021

I Like Thursday: Blue Heron and Bright Colors

Our excitement of the week - this blue heron showed up in our yard.  I have no idea what drew him to the yard (although I know we have frogs).  He strolled around for a while, then flew off into the trees.  Very odd!  


We had our regular visitors, too.


The veggie garden has been going bonkers!  The tomatoes took over one whole end (the poor peppers are buried now).


The other end I planted a few zinnias that came up.  Aren't they pretty?


The volunteers have finally identified themselves - looks like I have two butternut squash plants.  My cucumbers are just starting to grow little cukes.  Turns out most of my Roma tomatoes are some other kind of tomato.  That's a bit disappointing.  But they're producing like crazy! 

 

I met up with a friend at Moore State Park.  Bit of a drive to get there (it was a halfway point between the two of us).  I had not been there before.  Perfect weather for a hike.  The view of the pond was beautiful.


I loved this post and beam pavilion.  Beautiful woodwork.  There was a waterfall on the other side of it.  Looking at the maps later, I saw there was at least one other waterfall on the premises.  I'll have to check that out another time. 


Things keep coming up, but I have made progress on the quilt.  Have two more half blocks done.  Each block takes about 30 minutes.  Last night I opted for kayaking rather than sewing.  But I think I will set August's goal for finishing the blocks for this quilt.

That's my likes for the week.  Sharing with Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday


11 comments :

  1. Your long legged visitor is sweet, as is the furry one. Home grown tomatoes are delicious and how fabulous to meet up with your friend. Such a lovely place to spend some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I seem to have a lot of herons flying overhead, landing in my trees, I looked up what it meant for fun. Two totally different meanings. 1 was a portent of ill. 2 was a portent of wealth. I watch out my sewing room for the buns to make appearances. Love your zinnias, I am envious of your plants. My tomatoes just won't take off this year. Perhaps it was my cheat trying to use cardboard to keep the weeds away from them. Oh well there is always next year. Looks like a neat park. I haven't been sewing much either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that heron - wow! You do have to wonder what brought him to your place. Glad your tomatoes are doing well, and a volunteer butternut squash is cool, too. Looks you found a beautiful spot for a hike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is unusual seeing a heron looking around a yard. I've only seen them near water or in the air flying. Neat photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discovering the volunteers in the garden definitely sounds like a happy spot.
    Love the photos of the state park! It looks peaceful and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A blue heron in your yard! Do you have water nearby? Your garden is looking good despite the odd weather is summer. Squash and cukes and tomatoes ... yum! I prefer roma tomatoes, too. I have finally convinced Mr Scrapatch that they have more flavor and make better slices on burgers, in salads and everything than the big mushy ones he has always picks out. Beautiful State Park. Thank you for sharing Thursday with me ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. That heron was probably looking for a tasty frog or two. They are stately birds, aren't they? I wouldn't want to be jabbed by that beak, though! The visit to the state park looks like a perfect day - what a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. big difference in my garden and yours. Yours is thriving and gorgeous! So is the photo of the lake...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool to have a heron in your yard! Great picture! You live in such a pretty area. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s always fun to have unusual feathered or furry friends visit, isn’t it? I got excited about an owl one year! My tomatoes are just starting to turn red! I’m so anxious to have really good tomatoes! Lovely area for a hike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to visit that State Park! I'll be glad when our weather cools and I can make more day trips. And what a beautiful Great Blue Heron!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************